Friday, August 24, 2012

Interview with Author Jane Gray



I would like to introduce Author Jane Gray, the winner of the B.R.A.G Medallion. If you have any enquiries about IndieBRAG and you are a self-publishing author please visit our website at www.bragmedallion.com

    
 
 Jane, please tell us about your book, “The Bitti Chai.”

The Bitti Chai is basically a story about an endless love between two teenagers from very different cultures. It explores family emotions and ties, loyalty and love. It deals with bereavement and the grieving process and how the family pulls together to support and cherish their loved ones. I hope it portrays an accurate and positive image of Romany culture rather than the negative stereotypical image often portrayed by the press and some television programmes. There is an occult element which runs through the story and this is something I have always been fascinated by.





Was there any research you did for your story? If so, please explain.

The research for my book was limited with regard to the Romany aspect as I was brought up by my Romany grandfather and our culture and family values are central to the background of the book. Being heavily involved with horses myself this aspect of the story was second nature to me. However I have had to carry out research on Traditional Witchcraft and folklore but this relates more to the follow up novel as the story expands.

How long did it take to write Bitti Chai?

Not long really perhaps I had the bones of the book down in a few months, learning to hone it into a readable book without continuity errors and head hopping was a different story. I am basically a storyteller not yet a writer.

Is there a character in your story you feel connected too?

Yes undoubtedly Reigneth. She is named after my great aunt who was born on the road side at Rainworth (pronounced Renath). I feel very drawn to her character in all ways, she epitomises what I myself value in a young woman, strong and determined with good values.

Who is your least favorite character?

Initially Grace as she is such a cold fish but she is getting better and improving thanks to Reigneth but Jed Cummings is so obviously the most vile character, a wife beater and generally not a pleasant fellow.

What is your next book project?

The follow up to The Bitti Chai called The Lost Souls, it’s pretty much complete and just needs the finishing touches. Minimising head hopping is a problem for me I want to tell the reader everything and from everyone’s viewpoint. My editor Jo Field is amazing I’d be lost without her.





What books have most influenced your life?

Aside from the obvious classics like Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Rebecca etc. I tend to like books with a strong female lead. Plays - Taming of the Shrew again strong female character. I like what my friends jokingly call “boys books” Conn Iggledon Conquerer Series (Ghengis Khan), Lian Hearne Tales of the Otori (Samurai) etc. Generally though my taste is very varied with the exception of spy thrillers I’m not too keen on them.

What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

Be tenacious! Short and sweet I know but the writing is the heavenly part when for a short time you can be anyone you want to be. The marketing that’s a whole different ball game and not one I am particularly good at. You need to learn to network though whether you like it or not and that is time consuming in itself. If you’re not good at it, learn quick.

What is your favorite quote?

I’m still waiting to discover it! Although Winston Churchill takes some beating with: “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

 

 

Jane Gray Bio & Links:


The Bitti Chai, a love story for young adults, is my first novel and the first in a trilogy. The second, The Lost Souls, will be coming out later this year.  The novels are based on the cultural background and Romany heritage of my own family.  It has long been a tradition in Romany families to story-tell and my family were no exception.  I just see myself as carrying on that tradition.

The youngest of a family of ten I was brought up by my Romany grandfather and Gauja (non-Romany) grandmother. I live and work in Nottinghamshire.  Besides working part time, I ride and breed Native ponies, so my writing provides a less active pastime for me. I am married and have three grownup children.

I am a keen family historian and have had a number of factual articles on genealogy and tracing family history published in the Romany Routes journals.

I draw a great deal of inspiration from music while I’m writing. Much of my literary interest revolves around areas of the occult and spirituality, so it seemed natural for me to introduce this element into Johnny’s and Reigneth’s story. Often when I am working in the fields or with my ponies an idea will develop and sometimes, when the house is quiet or I am unable to sleep, ideas come to me so I keep a notebook next to my bed. 

As yet I consider myself to be more of a storyteller than a writer and am conscious that in developing my writing technique I still have much to learn, but I hope that eventually I will have enough confidence to think of myself as a fully-fledged author!
http://youtu.be/_Tut_W8Ci7k


We are delighted that Stephanie has chosen to interview Jane Gray who is the author of Bitti Chai, one of our medallion honorees at www.bragmedallion.com. To be awarded a B.R.A.G. MedallionTM, a book must receive unanimous approval by a group of our readers. It is a daunting hurdle and it serves to reaffirm that a book such as Bitti Chai merits the investment of a reader’s time and money.


IndieBRAG


Thank you!
Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic , I have read and re read the bitti chi over and over, in ever tire of the book, and I can't wait for lost souls to come out later in the year, I'm sure it will be een better, if that is possible , than the first. I myself am a Romany gypsy and Jane has captured our way of life beautifully in this book. I am a mother and a grand mother and I love it, my daughter was nineteen when she first read it and she loved it too, and like me is eagerly awaiting the second book. I'd recomend it to any one, and in fact every one I know who has read it has loved it too. I can see great things ahead for this new author Jane Gray. Cushty bok ( good luck ) with the lost souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this post - just happened to spot it. Jane's a lovely lady & a great book - and check out the Avalon Graphics trailer for it!

    Best of luck, Jane

    ReplyDelete