Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Interview with Author Sharon Sala




I would like to introduce Author Sharon Sala, the winner of the B.R.A.G Medallion for her book, "A Field of Poppies"


Sharon, thank you for the pleasure of this interview. I would first like to ask you about your interests in reading. When and where do you like to read?

I read when I get a chance and anywhere there's a book and a place to sit down. I care for my 92 year old mother full time in my home. She has dementia and no short-term memory left so it's quite a challenge. And I'm still writing full time, so me time is rare.


What was the last truly great book you have read?

I'll tell you the book that has stayed with me the longest, although it's not the last book I've read. It was called THE LAST CHILD, by John Hart and when I had finished it, I went back and bought and read everything he's written to date. It was THAT compelling.


Do you prefer a book that makes you laugh or makes you cry? One that teaches you something or one that distracts you?

I don't like self-help anything and I don't want to read someone else's opinion of how life should be lived, sooo having said that, any good book is a distraction and I love it when the writer can make me cry on one page and laugh my head off on another.


What are you currently reading?

Unfortunately, the only work I've been reading for the past few months is my own. Of course I read newspapers and the occasional magazine, but no time for that, seriously no time.

What do you plan to read next?

I'm waiting for the next Robert Crais book to show up on Kindle. I'm a huge fan.


Sharon, could you please tell us a little about your book, "A Field of Poppies."

Field of Poppies is out of my usual genre of romantic suspense. It's straight women's fiction and a story about a young woman's journey through unbelievable sadness . Finding out that nothing you knew about yourself is real, and the only people with the answers have just died on the same day... devastating. So it's her journey through sorrow, betrayal, and ultimately a growth and acceptance within herself that she would never have believed possible. Yes, there's some mystery. Yes there's a bit of romance, but it's basically a book about life.





Did you have to do any research for your story?

In this book, very little. It's set in contemporary time. I read up a bit on some specific details about coal mining, a little geographical info, but the town in the book is as fictitious as the characters, which always gives me leeway to create. I live with stories inside my head. I dream the majority of them, in color and with dialogue. It's like going to the movies and then coming back and trying to put in book form what I just saw. When I was little, I thought everyone could plan what they wanted to dream and then dream it. I can and often do. I can't explain it. I came this way.


What is your next book project?

Actually the book I'm working on at the moment, that's thankfully almost done, is a book called WINDWALKER. It's going to come out under my pen name, Dinah McCall. Dinah hasn't written a book since The Survivors, which came out in 2006. And, it is a paranormal Native American romance, which my readers have been bugging me to write for some time. I will also self-publish this book.


What advice would you give to an aspiring author?

Know your market. Submit to the people who publish your style of work and join a writer's group. The writer's group will, in the long run, become your shoulder to cry on, and every writer needs one. <g>


What is your favorite quote?

My favorite quote isn't actually from fiction. It's a verse from the bible, but it became my favorite BECAUSE of a book written by Dale Evans (the wife of cowboy star, Roy Rogers) many years ago. It was called Angel Unawares and it was a story about their daughter, who was born with Down's Syndrome. That book touched my heart in so many ways, and the bible verse that was the basis for the title, became my favorite as well. The verse is from Hebrews 13:2

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby ye may have entertained angels unawares.


Thank you, Stephanie,
It's been a pleasure,

Sharon Sala

Author Bio & Link:

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 85 plus books in print, published in four different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s a seven-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, four-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader’s Choice Award, and five time winner of the Colorado Romance Writer’s Award of Excellence as well as winner of the Booksellers Best Award. In 2011 she was named RWA’s recipient of the Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award. Her books are New York Times , USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly best-sellers. Writing changed her life, her world, and her fate.

http://www.sharonsalabooks.com

Readers can find me on Facebook as Sharon Sala or on my page, also as Sharon Sala, which deals only with writing news, etc


indieBRAG

We are delighted that Stephanie has chosen to interview Sharon Sala who is the author of A Field of Poppies, one of our medallion honorees at www.bragmedallion.com. To be awarded a B.R.A.G. MedallionTM, a book must receive unanimous approval by a group of our readers. It is a daunting hurdle and it serves to reaffirm that a book such as A Field of Poppies merits the investment of a reader’s time and money.

For information on how to become a B.R.A.G Medallion Honoree, please visit indieBRAG's website: www.bragmedallion.com



Thank you!

Stephanie
Layered Pages





No comments:

Post a Comment