Monday, October 15, 2012

Interview with Author Rachel Wade



I would like to introduce Author Rachel Wade, the winner of the BRAG Medallion for her book, "Amaranth."

Thank you Rachel for your time, I would like to begin by asking you a few questions about your reading interests. What was the last truly great book you have read?

 

Thanks for having me, Stephanie. It’s an honor to be here. Oh, talking books is always so hard for me. It’s the same with movies. I can never pick just one. I’d say the most recent book I read that left a huge impression on me was Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it, and I imagine I’ll read it again and again. The writing is witty and sharp, and Duroy’s character is so interesting.

 

When and where do you like to read?

 

On the couch next to the window, so I can gaze out in between pages. Preferably during the day, and especially when it’s raining.

 

What is your favorite literary genre and why?

 

Romance is definitely my favorite, followed closely by fantasy/science fiction. I love romance first and foremost because I’m a hopeless romantic, but I really just love exploring relationships and how/why we interact with one another the way we do. I love reading and writing about flawed people, or Young Adult romance, where that first love is always so exciting, intimidating, and fresh. I also love fantasy and science fiction because I’m a big geek. It’s so magical, the metaphors are powerful, and everything is so epic and beautiful.

 

What book is on your night stand now?

 

Jane Eyre and Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

 

What do you plan on reading next?

 

Tempting the Player (The Gamble Brothers, #2) by J. Lynn and Our Lady of the Flowers by Jean Genet.

 

Please tell me about your book, "Amaranth."

 

Sure. Amaranth is the first book in The Resistance Trilogy, a paranormal romance series. It’s about a young college student, Camille Hart, who struggles with an abusive past. She visits Paris for her birthday and runs into Gavin, a mysterious stranger, who she runs into again a few years later to find he’s not quite human. Before she knows it, she’s thrown into another realm and is in the middle of a war between witches and vampires. There is a resistance movement building on earth and in Amaranth involving vampires-turned-human held captive in exile, and vampires on earth who are out to end their curse. So the first book is basically about Camille’s introduction into that world and the decisions she needs to make if she wants to keep Gavin in her life.
 
 
 

 

How long did it take you to write your story?

 

To be honest, I don’t really remember. I know that from the time I developed the concept, put the outline together, wrote the story, revised, and went through the editing process, it was around two years total.

 

Who designed your book cover?

 

Robin Ludwig Design. She designs all of my covers and swag. You can find her at http://gobookcoverdesign.com.

 

Why did you self-publish?

 

I liked the idea of having full control over my art, and I believed that if people want to read your work, it will sell, and if it sells and you build a readership, then that is what defines success in the publishing industry—not which agents or publishers “approve” of your work. The readers are what matter. I believed that was the final goal: to build a readership, make a living off your art, and enjoy what you do, so I knew whichever route I took to achieve those things made no difference. Traditional publishing can offer great benefits as well. I published my poetry traditionally before I published my debut novel independently, so I’ve had a taste of both worlds. The indie path offered me the chance to pursue my publishing journey in a really fulfilling way, and that was very appealing to me as a new author.

 

How did you discover indieBRAG?

 

They approached me shortly after Amaranth released to inform me it had been selected to receive an honoree medallion. From there I discovered the community they work hard to build and have appreciated their passion and support for readers and indie writers ever since.

 

What is your next book project?

 

I’m currently finishing up Love and Relativity, my second contemporary/new adult romance (releasing 12/12/12), and then I’ll be focusing on my new science fiction series, The Keepers Trilogy, which will launch in 2013.

 
 

Will you submit it to indieBRAG?

 

Sure!

 

What is your favorite quote?

 

This question is like the “what is your favorite book” question—impossible to answer! Haha. But I’ll go with, “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.” ― Lloyd Alexander

 
 
Links:
 



 

indieBRAG
 
 
We are delighted that Stephanie has chosen to interview Rachel Wade who is the author of, Amaranth, one of our medallion honorees at www.bragmedallion.com. To be awarded a B.R.A.G. MedallionTM, a book must receive unanimous approval by a group of our readers. It is a daunting hurdle and it serves to reaffirm that a book such as Amaranth  merits the investment of a reader’s time and money.


www.bragmedallion.com



Thank you!
Stephanie





 


 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! This was a great interview and I'm honored to have the opportunity.

    Much love and happy reading,
    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete